Building your brand’s website may be a little daunting if you’re not sure what you are doing, and have little money to pay a site developer.
We’ve put together this tutorial to help you to build a site specifically using WORDPRESS.
Step 1. Purchase a Domain Name
• You will need to register a domain name before setting up any website
• .com’s are most popular, cheap and easy. If you can’t find a .com that matches your business name, try a different extension such as .co .shop or .net
Step 2. Purchase some Web Hosting
• Every WordPress site needs to be hosted on a server.
• You will need to sign up to a monthly or yearly plan.
Step 3. Change your DNS (Domain Name Servers)
Once you have signed up to web hosting, you will need to point your domain to that web host.
• Find out the Nameservers or IP addresses of your web-host (you should have received these when you signed up)
• Log into your domain name registration, go to DOMAINS > DNS (or name server details) and change the first 2 DNS settings.
(nameserver1 / nameserver2)
• This can take up to 48 hours for your domain to point to your new server, so be patient!
You can check the progress of this re-direction at: www.whatsmydns.net
Step 4. Install Wordpress
• Once your new domain is pointing to your new host, it’s time to install WordPress!
• This can be done via the control panel or “CPanel”
• Log into your Cpanel via the URL: www.mydomain.com/cpanel
• You should have been provided a username and password for this when you signed up for your web hosting.
• Scroll down the page until you see a button called ‘Quick Install’ – your hosting CPanel may vary, and might simply have a button called ‘install WordPress’ – each host is different.
• You will see an option to install the latest version of WordPress onto your server. You will either be given, or asked to create a username and password. Take note of this! Very important.
Step 5. Log into your WordPress site
• Once WordPress has successfully been installed onto your server, you can log into your new WordPress dashboard by going to: www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin
• Enter your username and password from the previous step.
Viola! You should now be logged into your new WordPress Dashboard.
COMING SOON – choosing a theme & customising it.
You must be logged in to post a comment.